Easy Ways To Prevent Cough & Cold
Table of Contents
There can be various factors that trigger a cough. These could be temporary or even permanent. One can be allergic to certain substances or irritants like smoke, strong perfume etc. which may lead to a cough. Cold is usually caused as a result of sudden weather changes or due to a virus.
Prevention of cough and cold in adults is vital as they are more involved in outdoor activities. It is also important to prevent cough and cold in babies as their immune system is still not ready to fight off all kinds of germs and viruses.
Prevention Of Cough And Cold In Kids
For kids, cough and cold can be prevented by following these measures:
Wash hands regularly
It is important to remember that the germs and viruses mostly spread from our hands. Throughout the day, kids are constantly touching objects like books, toys, keyboards etc. School going kids are playing outdoors with other kids, which is why washing hands by using a hand sanitiser is extremely important in order to prevent a cold or flu.
Your little one must stay updated with flu shots and vaccines. A simple cough and cold can sometimes prove to be a life-threatening illness for young babies. Vaccination at the right time will ensure that they are shielded.
Maintain distance from people with symptoms of a cold
Your kid may not understand the importance of maintaining distance from sick people. A person who is coughing or has a runny nose should not be allowed near a kid. The sick person should use a handkerchief or tissue while coughing or sneezing in order to prevent the spread of germs any further.
Use a humidifier
A humidifier is very useful to maintain the moisture in the air. It prevents any mucus build-up and allows your kid to sleep comfortably. Especially during winters, when it gets dry, a humidifier keeps the room warm and eliminates mould and dust.
These simple measures can prevent cough and cold in babies naturally.
Prevention Of Cough And Cold In Adults
- Washing hands is important for kids as well as adults. At work, people are exposed to all kinds of viruses and washing hands can prevent its spread to a great extent.
- You should also avoid touching your face and try using more disposable items such as cups, plates, disposable towels.
- Smoking is harmful and leads to congestion. It reduces your ability to fight off any infections.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.
- Stress makes you more prone to a common cold virus. The natural anti-inflammatory response of the body is affected due to excess stress and it does not work efficiently, making you fall sick easily.
Prevention Of Cold And Cough In Winter
As the temperature begins to fall, the chances of catching cold increases. It is usually termed as ‘common cold’ and is caused when the cold virus is most active.
Prevention of cold and cough in winters become a priority as we tend to spend more time indoors with closed windows and within confined space. Lack of proper ventilation does not allow germs to escape, thus making us vulnerable to them.
The cold weather plays a role in affecting our immune system. Due to lesser sunlight, we are vulnerable to infections. In winters, we are less active and our body’s defence mechanism wears down. Here are some things you can do in winters to stay hale and hearty:
- Keep yourself warm
- Wear proper winter clothes
- Drink plenty of water to let out all the toxins
- Sleep sufficiently Wash hands regularly
- Try taking vitamin supplements
Prevention Of cold And Cough In An Early Stage
You may experience these symptoms, these are undoubtedly the very first signs of cough and cold:
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Burning sensation in eyes or watery eyes
- Headache and body ache
At an early stage, you can treat it with home remedies and some precautions that will prevent the cold from getting worse.
- Drink warm water at regular intervals. Having soups can make you feel better as it breaks down the mucus and relieves the urge to cough.
- Gargle with salt water several times a day.
- Initially, you can try some menthol and herbal cough drops. Honey and ginger are also useful in soothing coughs.
- Opt for a steam bath, rest well and eat healthy.
- Including probiotics in your diet also helps balance out the bacteria in the gut and improve your immune system to fight infections and allergens.
While cough and cold are rather common and could happen to anyone, there are several preventive measures that can help reduce the risk of getting a viral illness. Identifying the symptoms of cough and cold at an early stage is the best way to beat them.
If you notice any symptoms of cough & cold, consult a doctor online on DocsApp.