Table of Contents
Your beautiful tresses are a reflection of your personality and style. While losing a few strands each day is normal, excessive hair fall can hamper your self-esteem and confidence. However, you can control the hair fall with the right remedies and treatments.
What Causes Hair Fall?
- Nutrient Deficiency: Hair Fall is often caused due to lack of essential nutrients in your diet such as proteins, iron, zinc and copper. Vitamin D deficiency can also cause hair loss. It is advisable to eat a diet rich in nutrients and get some time out in the sun.
- Thyroid Problems: The hair growth cycle can get affected due to an insufficient amount of thyroid produced by the thyroid gland. If the thyroid problem is present, associated symptoms like weight loss, weight gain, being sensitive to heat or cold and hair fall can also show up.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Hormonal imbalance is very common in women over 30. Although the women produce oestrogen, there are also other hormones such as androgens and testosterones which after a certain age, are converted to DHT resulting in hair fall. One of the prime reasons for hair loss in women is because of this excessive hormonal conversion into dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
- Stress: One of the most overlooked reasons for hair loss is stress. You can reduce your chances of losing excessive hair by effectively managing stress. Practices such as yoga, meditation and certain breathing exercises immensely help in reducing stress.
Some other reasons behind hair loss are genetics, ageing, and medical conditions such as alopecia areata and telogen effluvium.
How to Control Hair Fall?
- Shampoo and Conditioner: You must choose the right type of shampoo for your scalp type. Choosing the right products is the first step for hair fall control. Do not over wash your hair if they are dry. Moreover, if you have oily hair then wash it regularly. The right type of conditioner will help you take care of your hair and prevent it from breakage.
- Diet and Exercise: The right diet is crucial for your hair and you should make sure that you consume iron as well as protein. Moreover, you should also exercise simultaneously to augment proper blood circulation.
- Avoid Over Styling: Avoid straightening and perming your hair frequently. The heat from curling rods as well as blow dryers eliminates natural water within your hair. This makes them brittle and thus more prone to hair fall. Tweak the heat settings of these appliances if you really must use them. Using a protecting spray is also a good way to prevent any hair damage due to heat.
Hair Care Tips
- Regular Trimming: Your hair is more damaged near the tips. This is why you should regularly get the hair trimmed. It is perfect to remove split ends and to promote growth. Regular oiling & shampooing would also work wonders for your hair.
- Avoid Hot Showers: This is an effective hair fall solution. Did you know that hot water dehydrates the strands and removes natural oils from the hair? It also curbs hair growth and makes your hair prone to breakage. Always go for lukewarm water.
- Combing Hair: Do you often comb your hair just after a shower? If so then you should avoid this practice as wet hair is most likely to break. Let your hair air-dry or use a wide-toothed comb if you must. Likewise, you should also avoid wearing tight hairstyles that damage the hair.
Thus, the above tips will help you control your hair fall. If you still do not see any improvement, it is best to talk to a Dermatologist. Every hair fall condition is unique and can be cured with the help of medication, right diet and exercise.
Did you know? You can save over ₹5000 on annual health expenses by becoming a DocsApp Gold Member? DocsApp Gold provides unlimited consultations for you and your family in over 18 specialities for 1 year only at only ₹999!