Table of Contents
From sleep tracking to measuring your blood pressure, there are several ways to manage and improve your overall health. One such health device isoximeter, which can determine your oxygen saturation levels.Our blood cells transport oxygen to all organs in the body and oximeters can detect the oxygen concentration in blood. When there is inadequate oxygen in the blood, it can result in the failure of vital organs such as the heart and brain. Oximeter is used to assess people suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, pneumonia, lung cancer and other heart defects.Missed your doctor’s appointment or too busy to get one, oximeter is a handy device that can easily and regularly monitor the four vital signs in the human system, at home. These are BT (Body Temperature), BP (Blood Pressure), HR (Heart Rate or Pulse) and RR (Respiratory Rate or Breathing Rate). You may further keep track of your blood sugar levels and body weight changes. Health monitoring devices are innovative and used by medical professionals too. These are tested and sold widely in the market at a reasonable rate, so you can rely on them.
The right way to use an oximeter
You must carefully read instructions and follow a step by step process when using an oximeter
- Make sure you do not have nail paints or henna on your finger
- Your hands should be at normal temperature when taking a reading, warm them up if you feel they are cold
- Rest and keep your body relaxed before putting on the pulse oximeter
- You can place the pulse oximeter either on your index or middle finger
- Place your hand on your chest, close to your heart and try reducing hand movement
- Keep the pulse oximeter on your finger for at least a minute, till the reading stabilises
- Record the highest reading that appears on the oximeter after it has established past 5 seconds
- Make sure that the finger fits well and the probe is not too tight as it may constrict the blood circulation. If it is too loose the reading may be incorrect
Understanding the oximeter reading
Pulse oximeters typically give a fairly accurate result. It is advised that you use high-quality equipment from the several options available in the market. It consistently provides results within a 2-percent difference either way of what it truly is. However, the quality of the waveform and assessment of the individual must be considered. Factors like movement, temperature, or nail polish can impact the accuracy. Typically, more than 89 percent oxygen saturation level is needed to keep your cells and your body healthy, anything below this temporarily may not be harmful but consistent instances of lowered oxygen saturation levels may be damaging. An oxygen saturation level of 95 percent is considered normal for most healthy individuals. Consult your doctor and take note of your oxygen saturation levels.
Unhealthy eating habits, lifestyle, stress and lack of regular exercise are common in recent times. This puts us at an increased risk of diseases and illness. You must be careful about what you eat, exercise and keep a check on your health. An oximeter is a great option for early and prompt diagnosis of any underlying condition or health disorders; it also helps you track your treatment.REFERENCESwww.healthline.com | www.indiatvnews.com