The art of healthy living starts with ‘Self-care’
Table of Contents
Looking after oneself is an important part of healthy and happy life. Self-care refers to all the practices and activities that we deliberately choose to improve our health and wellbeing. It includes anything that one can do to keep themselves healthy – physically, mentally and spiritually.
Life is always busy and when it gets too busy, the first thing that we tend to sacrifice always is our self-care. People think that, in the midst of a busy schedule taking care of self would mean indulgence. However, this is not true, because to be able to care for others, we first need to look after ourselves.
Why is self-care so important?
- Increased self-knowledge- Recognizing and knowing what drives the self to perform certain activities requires creative imagination and thinking process which can enable better understanding of self.
- Improved immunity- There is evidence based researches to prove that self-care activates the para sympathetic nervous system. This helps the body to feel rejuvenated and that improves the immune system.
- Better physical health – With better self-care, there are fewer cases of common colds/flus, digestive issues or stress related concerns.
- Enhanced self-esteem- To be able to find out time for ourselves, give the body the right amount of food, rest and physical activity can help us meet the demands of daily life more efficiently. It can also make one feel more productive when they make themselves priority. This further boosts the resilience against stressors.
Some ways to nourish the body, mind and soul through self-care
- Be physically active
- Eat well
- Prioritize your sleep
- Find ways to ease stress
- Find ways to connect socially
- Practice gratitude
“Self-care is not selfish. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” - Eleanor Brownn