The controversy regarding mobile phone radiation has been raging on since 2011, when the World Health Organization branded it ‘possibly carcinogenic to humans’. With the average Indian spending nearly 3 hours on the phone, we’re putting ourselves in harm’s way.
What is mobile phone radiation?
When you make a call or use the internet, your mobile phone communicates with a base tower using radiofrequency radiation. This communication takes place when the SIM card in your phone is active. So unless your phone is on flight mode or switched off, it’s always emitting harmful radiation. This radiation raises your body temperature and it can damage the body’s atoms, molecules and tissues. This in turn can cause serious health problems.
How Radiation Impacts our Health?
The effect of radiofrequency radiation emitted by cell phones and cell phone towers depends on:
- The duration of your phone usage
- How close the phone is to your body
- Your distance from the base tower. (When your phone detects that the signal is weak, it raises the radiation level to make up for it.)
Radiation harms your health in the following ways:
When you are talking on the phone, your brain is exposed to a direct blast of radiation. EEG (Electroencephalogram) studies in Netherlands and France have proved that radiation can disrupt the electrical impulses that the brain uses to communicate with the body. This can lead to headaches, nausea, exhaustion, and dizziness. Furthermore, prolonged exposure to radiation can significantly increase the risk of brain tumours.
When you hold your cell phone or when you carry it about in your pocket, your skin is being constantly exposed to the radiation. Dermatitis is precariously common among people who use their phones for extended periods. The radiation also increases the antigen level in your body which in turn makes you vulnerable to skin allergies.Radiation can also cause melanoma. When your skin heats up, the melanin secretion goes up. This increases the risk of you getting malignant melanoma, a kind of skin cancer.
Elevated Blood Pressure
Mobile phone radiationelevates blood pressure. A survey in the U.K showed that blood pressure could go up by 9 mm Hg after a single phone call.If you have noticed a spike in your blood pressure and need advice on how to stabilize it, you can consult a doctor on MediBuddy.
Reduced Sperm Count
When men carry phones in their trouser pockets, prolonged radiation can have a detrimental effect on their reproductive organs. Several studies have clearly proved that sperm quality declines when exposed to radiation.
Radiation interferes with the heart’s electrical pulses. This can lead to heart arrhythmia, rapid heartbeat or palpitation and heart flutter.
Radiation from cell phones can harm the cell wall. Researchers in Germany found that radiation causes tears to form in the individual strands of the DNA. These breaks in the DNA are linked to cases of cancer.
How can you protect yourself from Mobile Phone Radiation?
- Don’t hold the phone to your ears. When you want to make or receive a call, use earphones. You can cut down the radiation reaching your brain by half with this trick.
- When you go to bed but don’t want to switch off your phone, just place it on the bedside table as far away from you as possible. Also don’t carry your phone on your person all the time, instead try keeping it in your bag whilst not using it. Remember to switch data off when you don’t need it.
- When you are in enclosed spaces, like an elevator, bus, or plane, do not use your cell as they amplify the mobile phone radiation.
- When you see that the signal is weak, do not use your phone.
Cell phones may have become an extension of our arms, but mobile phone radiation is definitely detrimental to your health. But with just a little caution, you can counteract its harmful effects.