Lavender is an herb native to northern Africa and the mountainous regions of the Mediterranean. The oil comes from the distillation of the flower spikes of certain lavender species. Lavender essential oil is however toxic when swallowed.
Benefits of Lavender essential oil:
- Lavender is highly regarded for skin and beauty. It is commonly used in fragrances and shampoos to help purify the skin. You can buy it over-the-counter from drug stores.
- Lavender oil has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, it can help to heal minor burns and bug bites.
- Lavender oil is effective in combating antifungal-resistant infections.
- Lavender oil is useful for treating anxiety, insomnia, depression, and restlessness.
- If you consume lavender as a tea, it can help treat digestive issues such as vomiting, nausea, intestinal gas, upset stomach, and abdominal swelling.
- Lavender relieves pain from headaches, sprains, toothaches, and sores.
- It can also be used to prevent hair loss. Lavender oil is effective for treating alopecia areata.
- Lavender helps to alleviate premenstrual emotional symptoms.
Understanding the uses of lavender oil in detail:
- Lavender oil is great for curing acne. It works to kill bacteria, and can effectively prevent acne breakouts. It unclogs the skin pores and reduces inflammation when applied on your skin. To use lavender oil for acne, you must dilute it in any carrier oil, such as coconut oil or others and apply it on a clean face.
- You can also use lavender oil as a facial toner. Mix two drops of it with one teaspoon of witch hazel. Soak a cotton ball in it and gently dab it all over your face. For a particularly stubborn pimple, argan oil can help reduce inflammation. Use the toner twice a day for best results.
- Lavender oil soothes eczema and dry skin. Since lavender has antifungal properties and reduces inflammation to a great extent, it can keep eczema at bay.
- Lavender oil can also be used to treat psoriasis. It helps cleanse your skin and can reduce redness and irritation. You must mix only two drops of the oil with an equal amount of tea tree oil, along with two teaspoons of coconut oil in order to use it to treat eczema.
- Lavender oil helps in skin lightening. It eliminates skin discoloration and dark spots. If you have hyperpigmentation on any part of your skin, lavender oil may take care of it as well.
- Lavender oil works for face wrinkles. Free radicals are partly responsible for fine lines and this oil is full of antioxidants to help protect your skin. Lavender oil can be used as a moisturizer once or twice a day.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of lavender oil makes it ideal for use on a burn. It can be combined with one to three drops of lavender oil and one to two teaspoons of moringa or coconut oil. You can apply the mixture three times a day.
- Lavender oil works best to treat a sunburn. You can pour a few drops of it in a spray bottle with a quarter cup of aloe vera juice, 2 tablespoons of distilled water and jojoba oil. Shake the bottle and spray onto your sunburn two or three times a day.
- Lavender oil is an insect repellent. It also relieves itching after an insect bite occurs. Many commercial mosquito repellents contain lavender oil. It can be used as candles around the home. You can also spray it on your body and your clothes before stepping out.
Lavender essential oil interactions:
Since lavender essential oil is concentrated, you must be careful about its interactions with other drugs.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) warn people to be cautious when combining lavender with drugs that induce sleepiness
- Drugs that are known to reduce blood pressure
- If you are taking any of these drugs, seek medical advice before adding lavender to your daily regimen.
Risks involved with Lavender essential oil
- You must remember that using anything beyond limitations can adversely affect your body. It has been noticed that repeated use of lavender oil on the skin might trigger prepubertal gynecomastia, a condition that causes enlarged breast tissue in boys before puberty.
- Lavender used during pregnancy or while breast-feeding may not be ideal. You must always discuss with your doctor before using any essential oils, herbs, or supplements if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- As lavender is believed to slow down the central nervous system, doctors advise patients to stop using lavender at least 2 weeks before surgery.
Lavender oil has many uses, such as naturally reducing inflammation, lessens pain, and cleans the surface of the skin. You can use lavender oil on your body. It is an important ingredient in most of the cosmetic products you use. It is necessary to note that you must use lavender oil in moderation and in case you experience any side effects from using the oil, stop use and talk to a doctor immediately.