Table of Contents
Dandruff is a common scalp / hair condition which is characterized by small, flaky, dead skin cells in your hair which cause your scalp to become very itchy. There are many causes of dandruff including dry skin, eczema, psoriasis and even sebborheic dermatitis. In Ayurveda, which has been practiced for over 5000 years, the imbalances of Vata, Pitta or Kapha aggravation or vitiation are diagnosed through the Pulse Diagnosis and accordingly the treatment is given which gives positive results.
Dandruff causes as per ayurvedic studies
- Excess exposure to sunshine
- Night awakening
- Exposure to dust
- Excessive sweating
- Suppression of natural urges
- Excess intake of sour tasting foods
- Intake of cold water for long
- Not washing hair regularly
- Non application of oil to the scalp etc
Here are some ayurvedic remedies to reduce dandruff
- Coconut Oil and Camphor (Nariyal tel aur kapoor):Coconut oil is highly sought after in Ayurveda due to the belief that it can nourish the hair and scalp. Applying coconut oil with one teaspoon of camphor to your hair is usually enough to significantly reduce dandruff.
- Fenugreek (Maithi ke beej):For both hair as well as the skin, fenugreek seeds are a very popular remedy in Ayurvedic treatment. Fenugreek seeds can be applied by grinding them out, dissolving them in water and then applying them to your scalp. You can then shampoo it out.
- Thyme (Ajwain ke phool):Thyme is highly valued in Ayurveda for its healing properties and is also a good remedy for dandruff. Boiling thyme in water, straining it and applying it when it is cool is the preferred way to apply thyme.
This being said, everyone has different kind of hair. If you are planning to go for any such treatment, it is advisable that you consult a hair specialist who can help finalize a treatment based on your scalp and hair condition. There are various Hair & Scalp Doctors available on DocsApp if you need advise on long term treatment.