Table of Contents
Gaining weight is a calamity that can befall any one of us. We binge eat when we are stressed. We stuff ourselves with feel-good foods (none of which are healthy) when we are going through a rough patch because food is a reliable pick-me-up. Since stress and anxieties are abound in our lives, before we know it, we will become plump. And gradually hypertension, high levels of bad cholesterol and heart ailments will set in. But don’t worry, none of those dreadful diseases will happen to you if you act now. All you have to do is speed up your metabolism. If your next question is how can I increase my metabolism to lose weight then we have a solution for you.
The link between metabolism and weight loss
Metabolism is the process through which your body burns up calories to release energy that drives your body. When your metabolism rate is high, you utilize more calories both at rest and when you are active. That is why the quickest way to initiate weight loss is to speed up metabolism. That way even exercise becomes more efficient because you will end up burning more calories.
How can I increase my metabolism to lose weight?
Here are a few simple but super-effective ways to gear up your metabolism to lose weight faster-
- You need more proteins: When you eat any food, your metabolic rate goes up for a while because of the energy needed to digest the food. This is called the Thermic Effect of Food or TEF. The higher the TEF the more quickly you lose weight. Foods that are loaded with protein have the highest TEF. Some reliable foods that increase metabolism and are high in protein are poultry, lean meat, fish, seeds, nuts and legumes.
- Drink more water: Studies have found that drinking 500 ml of water can increase your metabolic rate by as much as 30%, but only for an hour. And if you drink water that is cooler than your body temperature, you are likely to lose more weight because the body burns calories to warm up the water inside you.
- High-intensity training: This ramps up your metabolic rate and keeps it high for the next 24 hours. These short bursts of extensive workout are especially good at persistently burning belly fat and continue to do so long after you have completed your session.
- Focus on exercises that build muscle mass: Muscles are metabolically very active. So if you do exercises like planks, weight lifting, lunges and push-ups, then you will be putting your muscles to good use and also increase your metabolic rate in the process.
- Green tea and oolong tea have always been associated with weight loss. This is because both these variants of tea can enhance your metabolic rate by up to 5%.
- Another beverage that can increase your metabolism by as much as 11% is coffee! When it comes to burning fats, coffee can be more effective than green tea! Note that coffee is best consumed in moderation.
- Put more chilli peppers in your food. Capsaicin present in peppers has the potential to improve your metabolism.
- Sleeping sufficiently (7-8 hours) keeps your metabolism running strong. Plenty of studies have found that lack of sleep increases the production of hunger hormones and makes metabolism sluggish which is why being deprived of sleep tends to make people hungry and fat.
- Consume ginger with your meals as well as tea. Ginger raises your body temperature slightly. When your body temperature is high, your metabolic rate too goes up and you lose more weight.
Now that you have more clarity on that burning question of ‘how to increase metabolism to lose weight’, you can get started right away. [av_promobox button='yes' label='Consult A Doctor on MediBuddy' link='https://www.medibuddy.in/?utm_source=blog_cta&utm_medium=blog' link_target='' color='blue' custom_bg='#f00' custom_font='#ffffff' size='large' icon_select='no' icon='ue800' font='entypo-fontello']A good diet can be the solution to many health issues. If you want to know about
more foods that can result in quick weight loss, you can talk to a doctor through MediBuddy.[/av_promobox] REFERENCES