Holi Skincare: Protect Your Skin & Hair From Colours
Table of Contents
It's time to gear up for the most vibrant festival of the year- Holi!
While traditionally Holi is celebrated with dry colours and buckets of water, unfortunately, today it comes with splashes of synthetic pigments. Even if you do use organic colours, you still need to protect your skin so that it does not get damaged from sun, dust and pollution. However, do not let this deter you from having a blast. Spread your colour filled happiness without a second thought because #DocsAppHaiNa.
Here are some tips to keep in mind before you immerse yourself in the festival of colours!
● Almond Oil: The very first thing that you should do before playing Holi is to apply almond oil
on your entire body. Almond oil is a rich source of vitamin E. It provides nourishment to the
skin and acts as a protective layer between the skin and the colours. Apart from this, it also
prevents the colours from sticking to the body.
● Sunscreen: Due to the constant exposure to the sun, the risk of tanning increases. To avoid
tanning, apply waterproof sunscreen moisturiser as it can protect your skin to a great extent.
● Petroleum Jelly: Rather than using regular lip balms, make sure you use petroleum jelly on
your lips as its texture is thick and will work for a longer period of time. Apart from this, you
can apply petroleum jelly on the neck, back of ears and between fingers too.
● Coconut Oil: It is always better to wash your hair a day before Holi. Later, all you've got to do is to apply a layer of coconut oil on your hair and roots as it will prevent it from getting dry and frizzy.
Now that you’ve had your share of fun celebrating this joyous festival, it’s time to focus on post skin care! You may be exhausted and all you want is to get rid of all that colour as soon as possible. However, it is important to consciously remind yourself to be gentle with your skin. Excessive cleansing can irritate the skin and cause fine particles of the colours to seep deep into the skin.
Here are some important points to remember after Holi celebrations:
● Cleanse: As soon as you get back home, the first thing you should do is cleanse. It is essential to use a good cleanser. Go for a natural mild cleanser & make sure you wash off all the colour & dirt.
● Exfoliating: The second most essential step is to exfoliate for deep cleansing and removing the dead skin cells. One of the most basic and natural exfoliators that you can use is a mix of coconut oil and sugar. Rub your face and skin well with this homemade exfoliator and then
rinse it off. Make sure to be gentle on the skin & not to overdo it.
● Treat sunburns: Rubbing ice wrapped up in a thin cloth over the affected areas would ease
up your skin and reduce redness and burns.
● Moisturising: When it's all clean and done, do not forget to moisturise your skin well with a good hydrating moisturiser. Apply a gentle moisturiser that suits your skin type and helps retain moisture.
● Avoid makeup / parlour sessions: Since you've just cleared up your skin of all the toxic chemicals, avoid makeup or any parlour sessions for at least a day or two. Let your skin breathe and feel free before you splash another round of chemicals onto it.
● Hydrate at All Times: One cannot emphasise enough on the importance of keeping yourself hydrated at all times! Re-hydrating your body is just as important as re-hydrating your skin. Having plenty of water helps to flush out the toxins resulting in youthful and clear skin.
Please note that if there are any eruptions and boils due to any sensitivity, wash your skin immediately.
This Holi, Khelo Dil Se. We are here to take care of you!
For any skin related problems, you can consult a Dermatologist Anytime Anywhere!