Anyone can have a heat stroke!
Table of Contents
This summer is perhaps the hottest that India has seen in quite a while. Heat stroke are a frightening reality that we must all guard against; the very young and the old are especially susceptible.
Spot the Symptoms
Heat stroke is a medical emergency; therefore, be on a lookout for these symptoms:
- Loss of consciousness
- Convulsions (seizures)
- Signs of moderate to severe difficulty breathing
- Fever of over 104°F
- Confusion, severe restlessness or anxiety
- Rapid breathing and racing heart rate
- Heavy sweating
- Red, hot and dry skin
- Vomiting and diarrhoea
- Stay adequately hydrated at all times (drink a minimum of 4 litres of fluid). Consume plenty of citrus fruits like oranges and lemon, which are an excellent source of electrolytes.
- Wear light coloured and loose fitting clothes (cotton clothes are the best). Lighter colours reflect light so you will not feel the heat as much. Loose clothes allow easy circulation of air and help cool you down.
- Take a cool shower. This improves blood circulation and helps you shake off the exhaustion you feel due to the heat.
- Eat easily digestible foods and include a good amount of fresh fruits and raw veggies with high water content. Avoid spicy, oily and salty foods as these require more water to be digested.
- Cover up using a sunscreen, hat, scarf or umbrella whenever you step out. These also protect your skin from sunburn, freckles and heat rashes.
- Cut down on strenuous exercises; you may experience muscle pain or spasms in the abdomen, arms or legs due to depletion of salt and water.
- Do not leave your kids or pets in a closed car. Even with the air conditioner on, the temperature inside a car can rise dangerously in no time.
- Summer is best enjoyed when you are healthy! Take these simple precautions and enjoy the season to its fullest![av_promobox button='yes' label='Consult a Specialist on MediBuddy' link='https://www.medibuddy.in/?utm_source=blog_cta&utm_medium=blog' link_target='' color='blue' custom_bg='#f00' custom_font='#ffffff' size='large' icon_select='no' icon='ue800' font='entypo-fontello'] Consult a doctor right away if you notice any of the symptoms. [/av_promobox]
MayoClinic. Accessed June 6, 2015. NYC.gov. Accessed June 4, 2015. MedicineNet. Accessed June 8, 2015.